Recipes & Cooking
Deliciously simple recipes from Golden Grain. The American Classic Pasta.
Sausage and Broccoli Pasta Frittata
Like an omelet but made in a large skillet for a crowd, this pasta frittata is the perfect hearty Italian dish.
- 2 ounces Golden Grain Elbows
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Steam broccoli on a rack set over boiling water in a covered saucepan for 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a large skillet, about 8 minutes; drain off all but about 1 teaspoon of the fat. Add the onion; cook and stir over low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add the cooked macaroni and broccoli to skillet. Heat over medium heat until the sausage is sizzling.
- Combine the eggs, mozzarella, half and half, and Romano cheese in a bowl. Pour egg mixture evenly over the macaroni mixture in skillet; stir gently to blend.
- Cook, covered, over medium to medium-low heat until the frittata is set in the center and the underside is nicely browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, loosen edges of frittata from the skillet with a small spatula. Place a large round platter over the skillet. Protect hands with mitts and carefully invert the skillet over the platter. Cut frittata into wedges.